Tuesday, April 30, 2013

The March of Dimes Premature Baby Walk

I SUPPORT our tiniest Texans! reads the sticker given to me by a March of Dimes walker at the event in Lubbock recently.  It was a wonderful event - free fruit, free hand sanitizer.  I started the event following good music from a distant field.  I saw people all walking toward the event, so I joined the walk.  On the way, I asked a walker, "What is this event for?"  She told me in basic language: it is for the babies that are born before the third trimester ends, in other words, before the 9 month expectant date is up.  Though I didn't sign up and I didn't hear the speech at the beginning, I was still able to attend the event.  For about 30 yards I walked until I got to finish line where enthusiastic cheer leaders shook their pom pom's and yelled, "Yay!"  Though I am just an ordinary citizen and a visitor of Lubbock, I was able to observe and attend the walk.  I do not know much about premature babies, but some premature babies, and even mature babies, aren't able to live until 1 year of age.  This is very unfortunate, and the walk's intent to spread awareness of premature babies is a very noble cause.

I interviewed many people, and they seemed to be having fun. (Interviews and more information to come).


No comments:

Post a Comment